Sunday, January 6, 2008

Brain Food

Happy anniversary to me......10 years this week with MS.

So here's my lame attempt at brain cake....the cake fell apart coming out of the pan (it kind of looks like a partial frontal lobotomy was performed) and the icing didn't come out quite how I had hoped. So John and I had a chunk of it after supper and I'll stop by a bakery this week to get a real cake for the gang at the clinic.

If I want to be completely honest here, I'd have to say that I really didn't know what to expect with the diagnosis 10 years down the road. I have known from the first year that there was a chance at some point I'd be in a wheelchair, lose my sight, or something else. None of those things really bothered me then. And they don't bother me now, either. Shit happens. I could just as easily be creamed by a delivery van crossing the street in this town.

I know my parents worry much more than I do and that is the only thing that truly bothers me. I have occasional symptoms like a tingling in my left nostril, some numbness and tingling in the toes of my right foot, and some painful spasms from time to time. I consider these things to be reminders of how lucky I truly am. And even my parents' worrying reminds me how lucky I am to have them as my parents.

We don't know how good we have it until something bad happens. That's life.

S.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The brain cake is AWESOME! What's the frosting made out of??

I am glad the pics I sent you are coming in handy :)

Unknown said...

It's just the Betty Crocker French Vanilla frosting with a few drops of red food colouring....
The cake actually tasted pretty good, but I didn't think it would hold together too well for transport. The other frontal lobe and the rest of it are in pieces in my freezer.

Shauna