Monday, April 14, 2008

Where There's a Will...

...there are family members contesting it. So the process has begun-getting my life in order, a least on paper. Making sure of my beneficiaries, power of attorney, health directives, etc. At least I had a chat with my folks so that they're aware of what I'm arranging. My mother is relieved that the Wookie will look after the apartment and the contents if something should happen to me. I knew she wouldn't want to do that.

And I discussed with them what my wishes are per my remains. This may seem a bit on the morbid side, but I have been meaning to do this for a long time. Actually, I've been thinking about it for 10 years.

I am not in any way planning on going to the great beyond any time soon, but it's a good idea to have everything ready, just in case. I am not rich, nor do I have any dependents, so it should be a straight forward type will. I have appointments pending with the bank, a lawyer, and a few phone calls in to a couple of other agencies re:remains.

One thing we all, as MSers, have to think about at some point, is assisted living. Most of us will not have to worry about this, but it is a very real possibility in our world. So it bears some thought and planning. We could just as easily be hit by a truck crossing the street that would render us comatose and with someone else calling the shots. Do you want to be left on life support for days, months, or years?

These are the things I will be thinking about over the next couple of weeks. Wanna lay odds on how soon I can wrap all this up?

S.

4 comments:

Lisa Emrich said...

It's good that you are doing this. I need to get my mother to seriously get moving on her legal documents. She and my father finalized their divorce in 2004, but she has yet to write a new will. Aargh. Although I do know what her wishes are regarding life support.

Nervus Rex said...

I am totally wayyyyyy behind on all of this. I need to get my crap together!

And me being a great advocate of living wills and power of attorney and DNR orders...

The more you've thought it out and put it on paper, the less likely you are to need it :)

Hugs,
Shawna

mdmhvonpa said...

Ugh ... living will. I have to update mine. About 10 years have passed and, well, things changed a bit.

Unknown said...

I have done the banking thing and now have a meeting with a lawyer on Friday so by next week everything will be done.

The hard part really is deciding on who decides what as far as my health care goes. I'll have made that decision by Friday.

S.