Tuesday, April 15, 2008

MRS...No I'm Not Married...



I was wondering a few weeks ago about a mass spectrometer for brains. I even went so far as to contact a school mate of mine who is now the chair of the chemistry department of Saint Mary's University in Halifax, to ask if he knew anything about that sort of tool (I noes sum smart peeples). He didn't but in the meantime I found out about MR Spectroscopy. And some folks wondered about its application to managing, treating, and following MS. As I speculated, it will be a while before this tool is in as wide use as MRI is now, but I have good news. It has begun!! This report is only on a small study but it is encouraging. It's not a step closer to a cure. But the chemicals and the chemical changes it can measure may one day lead to a cause of MS and that is closer to a cure.

Yay!

S.

The picture is from the Pheonix5 Prostate Cancer Glossary.

6 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

Wow--very exciting.

Unknown said...

Diane,
It is exciting. But this machine has been around since 1973!!
Thanks for the link.
S.

Nervus Rex said...

The idea of measuring this way is fascinating!

And I'd personally *love* to go for my "MRS", lol.

Charles-A. Rovira said...

Uh Shauna, the source for the image of the machine looks at the, uh, other end of the alimentary canal. :-)

Unless you're talking about thinking with the little head instead of the big head.(I crack me up sometimes. :-)

Unknown said...

Shawna,
Been there, done that, got a certificate to say so....may do it again.

Charles,
It's a good thing you and I can amuse ourselves so easily....

S.

BRAINCHEESE said...

Well smack my arse and call me Sally! Not because I'm all THAT impressed with M.R.S....I just like the name Sally (and I'm a bit on the massochistic side. LMAO)

Linda D. in Seattle