Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pockwock Watershed

We got out for a bike ride yesterday as I planned though we were foiled by a fence and thick woods so had to turn back after 10k (more about that later). Still, 10k in and 10k out over rocky hilly terrain was quite the workout. Our journey hadn't even begun when the neighbour's rabbit hopped over to say hello. This was at the Wookie's house by the way. His neighbour Robert is the world's best landscaper and lawn keeper. He has a few pheasants that roam the area as well as the rabbit. I don't know how this WHITE rabbit has survived any number of predators. The Wookie lives about 17k from me and is much closer to deep woods than I am.So off we went. The area we were headed to is actually very close to where the Wookie lives. It's part of a protected watershed, with a water treatment plant 10k into the woods. There are some logging roads but very limited logging is going on. My first stop for a picture was a noticeable pile of sawdust in the middle of the road. Closer inspection revealed a decaying piece of wood.
And even closer inspection reveals a hole in the wood where a boring insect, probably a beetle, has gone into the wood. This is how some beetles live, boring holes into decaying wood and eating stuff. If it weren't for beetles eating crap, we'd be a really stinky planet.
Anyway, the trek continued on and at about the 5 k mark, the road became an overgrown trail. We could still make out where the tire ruts were but it was maily overgrown with grasses and weeds. We wondered about the frequency of trucks coming back on this part of the road as it appeared few, if any, had been here in the past year. By the time we got to the water treatment plant, we realized why. There's a shiny chain link fence around the plant and all kinds of no trespassing signs. We couldn't get through the fence and the woods apeared too thick to walk the perimeter. According to the trail maps and google earth we should have been able to go right around the lake that is the centre of this watershed. I particularly wanted to see the damn at the lake. So we turned around.The way back was going to be a little easier as it was generally a downward slope. There were still some hills to climb, but overall it was easier. Until I got to one hill and my chain slipped - and so did I.
It was a harder fall than my first one a few weeks ago and what the picture shows is just a tiny bit of the damage. Both legs are bruised up a bit as is my left hip/butt. I seem to be fine today, no worse for wear.

The Wookie of course.
One of our rewards for the trek. At this point we're about 8 k from the main highway and where we parked. It was mostly a gray day with some mist and fog early on, but we had a few breaks of sunshine here and there.
Of course there were some butterflies; this one is now part of my collection. It was on its last leg, so to speak, as it only had 3 legs (evidence of close calls with other creatures) and its wings were quite shabby. We also managed to see a gorgous milkweed type butterfly that eluded capture. The Wookie said my picture must be posted at the Butterfly Post Office as I could barely get near it.
There were two of these paw prints on the road and no others. No human tracks nearby. Probably coyote.
Another reward. These little "swamps" are all over the place and are miniature worlds all on their own. The next trek in that area will involve taking the right road as opposed to the left and we'll get to the lake going that route.

We've had very little rain since last night and it looks like Hanna will hit the Bay of Fundy which is north of us so we'll be spared (or at least less affected).

Now to plan the next ride!




That looks like it was a doozy of a fall. Ouch.

Hey, I don't think I'd seen a picture of the Wookie. Cool.

We got so much rain in the last two days that several roads which didn't look to be low-lying were flooded. It made navigating interesting. But fortunately the sump-pump did it's job and I have a DRY BASEMENT/STUDIO. Yay.

Denver Refashionista said...

Awesome pics. Sounds like a good time. I hope you recover quickly from the tumble.

Shauna said...

It was a doozy. And the bruising has appeared in all its purple glory. I'm a little more sore than from my first fall with the new pedals, but I'm taking the bike in tomorrow to get the guys to take a look at the chain and derailleur (sp?) as I don't want a repeat.

Hanna was a bit of a non event for us here in Halifax. It did shift its path a little to go right up the Bay of Fundy. Lots of flooding in southern New Brunswick and Northern Nova Scotia but we're ok here.


Lanette said...

That paw print looks HUGE!!! What size coyote's do you have up there?! :-)


Hmmm...battle scars? Your leg kind of looks like you might have TANGLED with whatever made that paw print! Glad to read you are enjoying your many rides, in spite of a few spills! You are an inspiration.

(BTW, may want to skip my latest post on's about spiders...and NOT in a "good" way!)

Linda D. in Seattle

Shauna said...

I told the Wookie after I took the picture of the paw print I should have put something down for reference. Will do that the next time. It was about 3-4 inches from top to bottom. The coyotes don't get too big around here and they're pretty skittish.

As long as I don't break anything it's all fun.

Spiders? Gulp. Heading over there now. I love a challenge.


Merelyme said...

Love all your nature pictures...I love how you take notice of all the little things. When I bike ride I am mostly in my head. I will have to stop and smell the proverbial roses more.

Shauna said...

One of the frustrating things for me upon my diagnosis was the idea that "God" or whoever, wanted me to slow down and smell the roses. I figured I was already moving slow enough a snail could have passed me by. However, on the bike, I often am going at such a high speed (for me) I easily miss a lot of what is out there. That's why I stop to take pictures; it affords me the chance to notice other things I might miss.

Glad you like the pics!