Thursday, March 6, 2008

On your Mark, Get Set....

Go!!!
Two years ago, my hunk of hugs, John, sometimes referred to as Wookie (which is another post sometime), said he wanted to do the MS Bike Tour. It has varied in length over the years but is a minimum 100 kilometres (about 60 miles) over two days. It has an optional 60 more k as well for the masochists out there.

So John began training and I bought myself a mountain bike to train with him. Not being very athletic, ever, but keen on encouraging the man and getting myself outside and in better shape, I joined him. Almost before the bike tour I had decided to do the next one which was in 2007. So I continued to train and bought a hybrid bike as the mountain bike isn't suitable for the road. And I did the tour last summer.

Because of where I live, weather is not really the greatest for riding this time of year and we will undoubtedly have a couple more storms before Mother's Day (sometimes after!); but I'm itching to get outside again. I dug out the bike over the weekend and set off today to get myself warmed up. The mountain bike is good to train on for short distances and is wonderful in the woodsy trails. I was out riding for about a half hour and enlisted some locals to take a pic.

In the background is the town of Bedford, where I live, and the historic Bedford Basin where the convoys prepared to head overseas during world War 2. I often bike all the way around and back in the spring and summer as there is a great training road with all kinds of hills (yech). It's a great way to measure my progress as it takes fewer stops to get up those hills each time I bike it.

It's a start...

S.

7 comments:

Lisa Emrich said...

That is just SOOO Cool!!

You go girl!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Lisa! Two nights before the tour last year I had an "almost" panic attack" about the whole thing. After I calmed down, I was surprisingly serene about it all. And
when I crossed the finish line I wondered what all the fuss my mind had been making of it. I also felt I could have gone on longer. So this year I may do the 160 k...OMG...it's now in print for all the world to see.
S.

Callie said...

Kudos, for getting out there!

steve said...

Hugs are cool, and your picture looks great!

steve said...

Hugs are cool, and your picture great!

BRAINCHEESE said...

In the infamous words I once read spray painted on an overpass in Spanaway, WA: "Ride it like you stole it!"

You go girl...

Linda D. in Seattle

Unknown said...

Callie,
It's the closest thing to a horse I can afford. thanks!

Lisa,
Will do. Excellent work.

Steve,
Thanks, darlin'. I like hugs...

Linda
LMAO...I'm using that to get our team going...

S.