Sunday, March 2, 2008

Just Be Nice




The ideas that have lighted my way have been kindness, beauty and truth. - Albert Einstein


Last weekend afforded me to observe some medical personnel in my community. I only wish everyone's experiences were as positive as my own.

After going without food and very little to drink for almost 24 hours, I was dehydrated and that made getting blood quite difficult. After scanning and searching for an appropriate vein for at least 10 minutes, the nurse told me she wanted to get another to do the procedure as she didn't want to put me through too much. The other nurse managed to do it on the second try. I was very happy with the first nurse's decision to hand off to someone with more experience.

At the women's hospital I went to after that, the med student participated in my internal exam. He got the speculum in but couldn't see well enough to get the swab where the doctor wanted it from. He stood up and let the doc sit down to do that part of the procedure. The student stood next to me and said he didn't want to put me through too much and rather than poke around looking for something let the doc do it.

The doc had also asked me about when my last pap was. She said if I was due for one she could do it at the same time as her exam rather than me having to go through it again in my family doc's office. Nice.

When talking to my family doc about my health last year, I told her about all the biking I was doing and my frustration with the lack of weight loss I was experiencing. Yeah, I know all about muscle mass etc....and my shape was a little bit different because of it. But all my clothes still fit. I wanted to get into a smaller size. My doc empathized as she was trying to "remodel" as well. A little bit of sharing, on her part, went a long way to making me feel better about myself.

I have blogged about the wonderful care I received when I was first diagnosed and hospitalized. Even the housekeeping staff who made me laugh. I really can't count the number of kindnesses I received. And I haven't yet told you of the staff at the MS clinic.

I read med blogs on a regular basis and am amazed at some of the docs and nurses who are surprised at patients thanking them for their care. To them and others in the field, I say thank you for your care and your compassion.... and for laughing at my jokes.

S.

6 comments:

Charles-A. Rovira said...

OUCH! That sounded like as painful extraction.

But you're right, we don't thank people enough.

Unknown said...

Charles,
Surprisingly, and thankfully, not as painful as expected.
S.

BRAINCHEESE said...

As someone who works in the business of health care, I am delighted to read your thoughts here...it is so refreshing to hear of someone having a most excellent experience...and so refreshing to read that you actually THANK your providers for this. That simple kindness goes a very long way...believe me.

Linda D. in Seattle

Synchronicity said...

i am so glad you are having good experiences. i was just diagnosed in october but my experiences have run the gamut of really good care and...those who downright mutilated me and my veins. when you find good care it does make you feel especially grateful.

Diane J Standiford said...

I love thanking good care, good cust serv, good friendspip, good effort. I build a team of doctors, nurses, dentists, ambulance drivers, etc, and having plenty of bad experiences---my TEAM gets lots of thanks in the form of words and deed. I love giving gifts, flowers, treats. A little love goes a long way.

Unknown said...

So true, a little love goes a long way. I received a phone call at home last night from my family doc. She wanted to check up on me and make sure I was doing ok after that horrendous weekend of getting up close and personal with the ER. After chatting with her about a few of my issues and advising me on a course of treatment I hung up feeling great. She is one in a million and again, I don't mind saying, I am truly fortuneate.

S.