Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Burden Shared is a Burden Halved



For those of you not familiar with the Carnival of MS Bloggers, please check it out (click on the Carnival button to the right or here). Herrad is the only entry this week. And it's a great one.

Many of us worry about how we may become, or have become, burdens on loved ones. It's why some of us paste smiles to our faces, or never say no to requests, or never ask for help. Forgive me for saying this, but that's a stupid way to live (and I'm as guilty as the next person for not saying no sometimes).

Saying to someone "I'm really not feeling great today, go easy on me" or saying "No, I can't bake cookies for the fair this week" or having your children clean up the kitchen after supper are not bad things at all.

Think how you feel when you've helped somebody. Good, right? Well, give others a chance to feel good, too. Ask for help with the chores, the cookies, or whatever. By allowing yourself to be helped, you are essentially helping someone else.

And there's a difference between making an observation and complaining. In Herrad's case, she says that she does not want to burden everyone with the progression of her MS, but I truly feel she is only making observations of her condition, not burdening her readers. As much as we don't like to face reality sometimes, this is Herrad's reality and the reality for countless others. It must be faced.

It's the reason I speak at every opportunity given to me to raise funds for research and support services. Herrad's reality may some day be mine. And if I don't face that reality, who will?

4 comments:

Lisa Emrich said...

When others share their realities, it helps me to gain more understanding and appreciation for each of our gifts and challenges. For that, I am truly thankful.

Denver Refashionista said...

This is a great message and Herrad's spirit rocks!

Herrad said...

hello Shauna

Thanks for your supportive post.
Looked at The Carnival of Bloggers and was very touched to see 6 of my posts.
Cried abit as it was very moving and felt very supported.
Really appreciate all the feedback and am resolved to express myself freely.
Love,
Herrad

Unknown said...

Lisa,
You've hit the nail on the head.

DR,
I agree. Herrad rocks.

Herrad,
I know that many of us in the blogosphere have you in our thoughts and prayers. We just don't always express it. Here's to a future of "expression".

S.