Friday, January 1, 2010

Seal of Approval

Just a day or two before Christmas, I was on my morning walk around the Bedford waterfront and a seal popped up in a little sheltered marina. I had never seen one in the Bedford Basin before though I know they're common in the Halifax Harbour. Turns out, they're common in the basin as well. The seal stayed for several days and even crawled up a boat ramp and onto the pier at the south end of the cove where he stayed for at least two days before being removed by authorities or leaving on his own (I'm not sure which it was). Because many people are stupid, police tape and a sign were posted warning folks to stay back from the animal. I got a "far away" picture of him at the very end of the pier. He's just sleeping by the bench.



We've had a mix of weather conditions over the past week or so that is so variable and unpredictable you can be wearing 14 layers of clothing in the morning and only two in the afternoon. As I am typing this we are expecting anything from a major snowstorm to rain this afternoon. Whatever. I'll be out in it, dressed appropriately, walking as usual these days. I have managed to take a few interesting shots of the ice on the river coming from Papermill Lake. The first shot is at the dam.



The second shot is a skirt of ice on one of the pylons that used to support the water pipe that fed the mill for Moirs Plant almost 100 years ago.



New Year's resolutions: none really, though I have now officially signed up for the 52 WBC. I'll be taking the bike out for at least 30 minutes every week for the next year. I have to work on my abs (they are under there somewhere). Oh, and get a job.

S.

1 comment:

Herrad said...

Hi Shauna,
Please visit my blog and pick up your award.
Best wishes for this New Year.
Love,
Herrad
ps Great photos thanks for sharing.