Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Force 10 From Navarone...er..Kearney Lake Dam

I went for a short hike today around the Kearney Lake area. The lake crosses under a minor highway , forms a pond, and that has a dam at the end. Normally the water laps gently against the dam. There is an output pipe at the bottom of the opposite side of the dam and water flows at a slow but regular rate into a river that leads to Paper Mill Lake, which in turn has its own dam that empties into 9 Mile River (and used to be used to power the Moirs Paper Mill), which then empties into the Bedford Basin, which is the northern part of the Halifax Harbour. Whew. Anyway, the Kearney Lake dam, about 25 feet high, today was more like Niagra Falls.


I walked to the bottom of the dam and around the pool at the bottom and into the woods a little way. There I discovered another stream, partly formed by runoff and snow melt and partly fed from underground. It was rushing by a felled and decaying tree that made me think of some arboreal Hannibal Lechter victim. I know how to spook myself, that's for sure.


Another tree I came across looked like it should have a for rent sign out front to advertise a two level woodpecker home.
href="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YI49M_jnHUg/Sdvj3AWDokI/AAAAAAAABC0/fY-0BhehBQ0/s1600-h/004.JPG">

I also took a short walk close to Sandy Lake and after a trek through the woods determined that I had enough exercise for the day. It poured again last night and this morning and it'll be cloudy and drizzly until Sunday at least, so the boots and jacket are drying out again. When I got home I decided to take a quick peek at the garden. First signs of life are the grape hyacinth:


Second signs of life are the rhubarb buds:


In case you're wondering, the Wookie is away on business. *sigh*

S.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Damn....I thought Force 10 From Navarone was about blowing up a dam.....it was a bridge. Oh well....water rushing everywhere....you get the idea.

S.