Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bug Love

I was out the door at 6:30 this morning for a walk....first stop was the garden where I found two beetles having sex on one of my plants. At 6:30 in the morning. So I took 'em inside and took pictures of them under the microscope.



I returned the lovers to the outdoors and went for my walk. On way home I came across a couple of huge worms and a couple of very small salamanders. We had torrential rains last night and all sorts of these creatures climb out of the earth to avoid drowning. Some were a little late to go back. The smaller of the salamanders I took home with me for pictures under the microscope. This is his tiny foot. you can see the rounded shape of it and it's very similar to tree frogs, with the sticky pads on their tiny toes.



The little guy was only an inch long, just a baby so I released him to the grass outside.



Back in the garden again to find more creepy crawlies. This centipede like creature was under a rhubarb leaf.



And I couldn't resist taking a picture of my neighbour's onion. It looks like it's wearing a turban.


Things are still really busy with work and fund raising for the bike tour. We hardly have time to get out for bike rides and training. Tomorrow...

S.

5 comments:

BRAINCHEESE said...

Dear, I think that first picture could cause arrest here in the States! LOL And I'm not talking cardiac arrest either...although one should check in with the beetles post coitus and see how their tickers are doing. :-)

Blinders Off said...

Shauna,

(spanking your hand) peeping on the bettles...lol

Fantastic pictures.

Denver Refashionista said...

These pictures remind me why I love this time of year.

Diane J Standiford said...

Bug fever, bug love, aren't microscopes wonderful? I wonder if some giant is watching you make love? Hmmmm

Unknown said...

Ladies:
One of my favourite sites to check out is What's That Bug? They have an entire section called Bug Love. It's quite fantastic. And Diane, I have often thought that something may be watching us like we're in some sort of enormous and complex Skinner box.

S.