Saturday, December 13, 2008

In and On the Air




I mentioned in an early post that I was doing an interview as part of a report on local news for the End MS campaign. It aired this past Wednesday night and as soon as I have a copy that I can download I will post it. In the meantime, I can say that it the whole segment was done very well and I've had lots of positive feedback about it. Now newspaper wants in on the action. So I'll be doing that interview next week. I also know for sure I'll be able to post that on the blog.

One of the things that always concerns me when doing these interviews is that I don't look like I have anything wrong with me and that people may not get the message about how devastating MS can be. I always stress that I am one of the lucky ones and I am a best case scenario. I did receive an e-mail at work yesterday from someone I met a couple of years ago at a talk I was giving to other MSers. (And she's a listener, too, so that was nice.) She said it was good to see someone with MS in a positive light. So she saw me as I hoped people would see me.

One of the reasons I am a volunteer interviewee for the cause is that I work in the industry. I know the ins and outs of the media, sometimes I know the person on the other side of the camera or the microphone, and I am a public persona myself anyway. So if people can look at me and say "I recognize her. And she's got MS!" that stays with them. And I'm all about keeping MS in the public eye. Actually, at a station related appearance Thursday night, two people approached me and said they saw me on the TV interview.

The day after I was diagnosed a co-worker came to see me in the hospital. He told me he was hosting a fundraiser for the MS Society and did I want to come along. I said sure and at the dinner was introduced to the crowd. I told them I had been diagnosed 6 weeks earlier. So began my public campaign for MS awareness and education.

It's also a bonus for the company I work for in the form of good PR. They've gotta like that. I know I do.

S.

3 comments:

Synchronicity said...

I think what you are doing is fabulous. MS is a rather invisible disease...most people don't know that so many of the symptoms cannot be seen.

Sorry I have been so neglectful in comments lately...just trying to catch up now.

Lisa Emrich said...

Shauna,
Thank you for all of the education and advocacy you do. We are all better for it. Can't wait to read the news article.

Diane said...

Shauna, I love your positive attitude on top of your advocacy for MS. And if you have the appropriate media outlet, heck why not help spread the word?! We all appreciate it and look forward to reading/hearing more!