Friday, July 24, 2009

Change Will Do You Good

It wasn't the happiest day of my life yesterday, or for my co-workers, as I and two colleagues were laid off. There are obviously some major league changes going on at the radio station that we will not be a part of, and we don't expect it to end any time soon.

That being said, I have had harder things to deal with than losing a job, so in the bigger picture, this is just another blip. I am lucky in that I was given a severance package and access to a human resources company to assist in the transition. It may have been a business decision on the part of the company, but it's not one that I, or a great number of people agree with.

I'm also lucky because of the outpouring of support from co-workers, colleagues in the business, and family and friends. I don't think my phone stopped all day yesterday and the e-mails were fast and furious as well. I know who to call when I need a shoulder- or a reference!

After the initial shock wears off I'll get down to sorting out future plans. But my first priority right now is the Bike Tour this weekend. 12 hours from now, I'll be getting my bike gear on and heading out the door to Windsor, Nova Scotia to bike to Wolfville (and back the next day). I will have pictures next week of our team and will regale you with stories of the Cycle-Delics' triumphant return to the road. I have raised $3600 for the MS Society...not bad, though far short of what I had hoped to raise.

I expect to be on the road biking for a grand total of 8 hours. That will give me plenty of time to ponder my options for the future and figure out how to start my own radio station....

We had Chinese food for supper last night and my fortune cookie spit out this: You do not have to worry about your future.
S.

4 comments:

Lisa Emrich said...

Oh Shauna, I'm so sorry. But I do hope that you have a fabulous ride this weekend. You'll probably read this when it is all over. Your own radio station? Now that sounds intriguing....

Denver Refashionista said...

Sorry about the job.

Good luck on the bike tour. Try to enjoy yourself.

Unknown said...

Thank you ladies.....it was a good weekend.

S.

steve said...

Sorry to hear about the employment situation. I was in almostthe same position when my employer at the time decided to streamline operations. Strangely enough my cup ran over and I had three offers after mass marketing my resume. This recession stuff sucks. However, if you have sufficient amounts of confidence-which you have-you can overcome this bump. A lesser individual would have packed it in. M.S. - no problem; no job-no problem. Sometimes ya just gotta give the world the half a peace sign, tell everyone to get stuffed, and reconquer the planet in your own way. You will be on the airwaves shortly.

Cheers